Monday, August 12, 2013

Quick Tomato Sauce for Pasta

As a child I was a picky eater. There were lots of things I grew up not liking. Spaghetti was one of those dishes that never appealed to me, and even seemed gross, but I married a man who loved spaghetti and meatballs, and I soon learned that living life eating alfredo sauce meant a wider waste band. I began buying pasta sauce when I got married. I'd warm the canned tomato sauce with lackluster and eat it with even less excitement. The sauce just wasn't good. I remembered the days I visited Italy and inhaled any kind of pasta with a ravenous appetite. In Italy, tomato sauce was fresh and light, and I loved it, so I decided maybe I should try making it myself.

This recipe is one of the first I tried from scratch. The best thing about it? The sauce is done by the time your pasta is finished cooking. If you want a meat sauce, brown your meat and allow it to simmer in the sauce for a few minutes before adding it to your pasta. This really is the best tomato pasta sauce I've ever had, and it's very flexible. If you have fresh herbs, use them instead of dry. For a spicier sauce, add red pepper flakes with the garlic. The other thing I love about homemade sauce, there are no dyes, added sugar, or preservatives. You know exactly what you're serving to your family.

Basic Tomato Sauce for Pasta

3 T Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
1 (28 oz.) Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz.) Can Diced Tomatoes
1 tsp. Dried Basil (1 T or more for fresh)
1 tsp. Dried Parsley (1 T fresh)
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
2 Dashes Balsamic Vinegar OR 1/4 tsp. Sugar
Salt and Pepper

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, with the juice. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened--10 minutes.
3. Stir in the herbs and Balsamic Vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I usually start with 1 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper). Add any meat and vegetables, toss with pasta before serving.

*This recipe makes about 4 cups or enough for 1 pound of pasta. I love to freeze half the sauce in a ziplock bag and use another night for an even quicker dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment